Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Psalm 6


WEEK 7                                                       Psalm 6
 WEDNESDAY  Reflections


Psalm 6 is a great little psalm calling out for forgiveness. What really stands out here is the awareness of the writer that forgiveness isn’t something earned but is a result of God’s love and mercy. It is God who gives forgiveness not because we deserve it but because of his love and mercy.

The one verse whose sentiment is repeated in several other places in the Old Testament is that with death comes the end of praising God. This has been used by some the say there was no view of eternity in the Old Testament and the idea was a concept popularized after the Babylonian captivity. This ignores other passages which speak of something beyond death. Jesus made it clear in his discussion with the Sadducees that the Torah contained proof of life after death, “But about the resurrection of the dead--have you not read what God said to you, I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the God of the dead but of the living” (Matthew 22:31-32 also see Mark 12:27 & Luke 20:38). It seems to me that those who want to discount (I would say discredit) the teaching on life after death must be interpreting this incorrectly.

So, what is being said? There are a few ideas, first is that the writer is saying that the opportunity to praise God in this life is gone once you die. Another idea is that the writer, not having a clear understanding of life after death, wrote what he felt (we have to be honest the resurrection isn’t an obvious teaching in the Old Testament). The last which is what I feel might the most accurate is the writer was being poetic and saying this is what he felt. The reason I lean toward the last is personal. I have felt my work will be over I were to die and I have a very strong view on life after death. 

At the end of this discussion though it might be easy to miss is the simple request to a merciful God that forgiveness is needed though not deserved.



Psa 6:1-10
(1)  To the chief Musician on Neginoth upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David. O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
(2)  Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
(3)  My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?
(4)  Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.
(5)  For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
(6)  I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.
(7)  Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.
(8)  Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.
(9)  The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.
(10)  Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment