Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Psalm 26 Why tests?

Ready to be tested? 
Psalm 26

WEDNESDAY  Reflections
  

Many have wondered why God tests people. There is a question as if maybe God doesn’t know if we can handle it. However, I look at this as not a testing for God’s sake but for ours and those around us.

If I am getting ready to take on a challenge, I might go to a coach and have them test me to see if I am ready. That coach may run me through some hard challenges but the goal is to let both of us know if I can do it. If I have a coach I trust, then I know what she is doing is for my good. I might not like the test but I trust my coach.

Let’s pretend, I am being asked to follow someone into the wilderness of Brazil. There is a danger. We might have to fight off crocodiles. The chosen leader is three feet tall. He looks and sounds more like a Harvard professor than a professional wilderness guide. I have some real doubt about following him. Before I have a chance to back out, he jumps into a crocodile enclosure and is immediately set upon by ten of the biggest crocs I have ever seen. After five minutes, the crocs are hiding and he walks out without a scratch. Now I am ready to follow. Why? Because I have seen him tested.

I believe God tests us for these reasons. The amazing thing here in Psalm 26 is the Psalmist isn’t afraid not just to ask to be examined, but to be tested and tried. May I have the courage to ask God to test me. 




Psa 26:1-12
(1)  A Psalm of David. Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.
(2)  Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
(3)  For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.
(4)  I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers.
(5)  I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
(6)  I will wash mine hands in innocency: so will I compass thine altar, O LORD:
(7)  That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.
(8)  LORD, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth.
(9)  Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men:
(10)  In whose hands is mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes.
(11)  But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity: redeem me, and be merciful unto me.
(12)  My foot standeth in an even place: in the congregations will I bless the LORD.


No comments:

Post a Comment