Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Psalm 23 It's not the promises you think!

Is He your shepherd?

WEEK 3                                                    Psalm 23  
WEDNESDAY  Reflections

Psalm 23 is probably the most famous psalm in modern times. It is full of beautiful promises and gentle reassurances. It brings comfort during life's most challenging circumstances. It seems to promise peace and tranquility for everyone, but it doesn't.

 

The sad thing is that many who look to this psalm for comfort are as secure as someone unknowingly passing counterfeit money to a Secret Service Agent. They will be confused, will find the money worthless, and themselves in a heap of trouble. They thought they had money but found they had none.

 

How can this be true? The problem is found in the first verse, "The Lord is my shepherd." It is important to understand if this first part isn't true none of the rest is. If the Lord isn't your shepherd, then a person is in a world of trouble. You see the shepherd is the owner, the master, the lord of the sheep. If someone hasn't made God his Lord and Master then the rest of the psalm doesn't apply.

 

It could be read:

The Lord isn't my shepherd, so I will want.

I will not lie down in green pastures, not be led by calm waters.

My soul is broken, I will go down paths of unrighteousness for my own sake.

I will be stuck in the valley of death, I will fear, God’s rod and staff will terrify me.

I will stand alone before my enemies, I will not be blessed, my cup will be empty.

Goodness and mercy shall flee from me and I will be separated from God forever. 

 

Is the Lord your shepherd? Or not?




Psa 23:1-6
(1)  A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
(2)  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
(3)  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
(4)  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
(5)  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
(6)  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment